How To Properly Disinfect Everything At Home
- Always wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces.
- When using reusable gloves, dedicate their use to disinfecting surfaces for COVID-19 and not for other purposes.
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them with detergent and water before using disinfectants.
- Prepare a bleach solution by diluting five tablespoons (one-third cup) of bleach in one gallon of water and use this as a disinfectant.
Properly clean soft surfaces such as rugs, carpets, and drapes with the appropriate cleaners. They must be washed according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Immediately remove any visible contamination from gadgets and electronic devices, such as cell phones, tablets, remote controls, and keyboards.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and disinfecting.
- Use wipeable covers for electronic devices.
- For touch screens, use wipes or sprays containing at least 70% alcohol. Then dry thoroughly using clean towels or tissues.
Clothes, linens, and other things that go in the laundry
Wear disposable gloves even when doing the laundry, especially if they’re from an infected person. Clean your hands immediately after removing the disposable gloves.
- If both disposable and reusable gloves are not available, make sure to wash your hands properly after doing the laundry.
- Do not shake off your dirty laundry to reduce the risk of spreading the virus through the air.
- Wash your clothes by following the instructions by the manufacturer. Use warm water and dry the items completely.
- Clean and disinfect laundry hampers after each use.